Welcome to the E2 Armory blog! Today, we will provide you with a comprehensive step-by-step guide to disassembling an AR-15 rifle and performing parts replacement. Whether you’re a seasoned gun enthusiast or a beginner looking to learn more about your firearm, this guide will help you understand the process of disassembling and replacing AR15 parts with ease. Rest assured, our guide focuses on the highest quality components, crafted with meticulously selected and certified materials, ensuring optimal performance and reliability. So, let’s dive right in!
1. Safety First
Before we start, it’s essential to prioritize safety. Ensure that your AR-15 is unloaded and the chamber is clear. Always wear appropriate eye and ear protection when working on firearms. Remember, safety is the top priority when handling any firearm.
2. Gather the Necessary Tools
To perform a successful AR-15 disassembly, you will need a few basic tools. These may include:
- Armorer wrench or multi-tool: This versatile tool helps with various tasks, such as barrel nut removal and castle nut adjustment.
- Punch set: Different-sized punches aid in the removal of pins and detents.
- Screwdriver set: A set of quality screwdrivers will come in handy for removing specific components.
- Mallet or hammer: Used to tap pins or push out stubborn components.
- Cleaning supplies: It’s a good idea to have some cleaning supplies handy, as you can take the opportunity to clean the disassembled parts if needed.
3. Removing the Upper Receiver
The AR-15 can be separated into two main parts: the upper and lower receivers. Let’s start with the upper receiver disassembly.
- Step 1: Ensure the firearm is unloaded and the charging handle is in the forward position.
- Step 2: Push the takedown pin at the front of the lower receiver and pivot the upper receiver upward.
- Step 3: Once the upper receiver is lifted, separate it from the lower receiver by pulling them apart.
4. Disassembling the Upper Receiver
Now that the upper receiver is detached, let’s move on to its disassembly.
- Step 1: Remove the charging handle by pulling it out from the rear of the upper receiver.
- Step 2: Unscrew and remove the free-float rail system.
- Step 3: Remove the gas block and gas tube, if necessary, for advanced maintenance.
- Step 4: If you want to AR 15 replacement parts and replace the barrel, follow the manufacturer’s instructions or consult a professional gunsmith.
5. Lower Receiver Disassembly
Next, let’s focus on disassembling the lower receiver.
- Step 1: Remove the rear takedown pin by pushing it from left to right.
- Step 2: Pivot the upper and lower receivers apart.
- Step 3: Remove the buffer tube, buffer spring, and buffer by unscrewing the castle nut and end plate.
- Step 4: Push the rear takedown pin back into place, so the detent engages the hole in the lower receiver.
- Step 5: Use a punch to push out the front pivot pin, allowing the lower receiver to separate into two halves.
6. AR 15 Replacement Parts & Components
With the disassembly complete, you can now replace or upgrade any AR15 parts you desire. Follow these steps for reassembly:
- Step 1: Reinsert the front pivot pin, ensuring it engages both halves of the lower receiver.
- Step 2: Assemble the buffer tube, buffer spring, and buffer, then screw the castle nut and end plate back into place.
- Step 3: Reconnect the upper and lower receivers by pivoting them together and inserting the rear takedown pin.
- Step 4: Attach the handguard or free-float rail system to the upper receiver.
- Step 5: Reinstall the charging handle by inserting it into the rear of the upper receiver.
Congratulations! You have successfully disassembled and reassembled your AR-15. Remember, always refer to the manufacturer’s instructions for specific guidelines and consult a professional gunsmith if you are unsure about any steps.
At E2 Armory, we understand the importance of maintaining and customizing your AR-15. That’s why we proudly offer a wide range of high-quality replacement AR15 parts, all made in the USA, to enhance your shooting experience. Explore our website to check out our extensive selection and find the perfect parts to suit your needs.
Please note that responsible firearm ownership involves adhering to all local, state, and federal laws. Always prioritize safety and ensure proper training when handling firearms.